Sunday, August 01, 2010

Mad About Mad Men

I’m a little behind the crowd on this one, but I’m finally all caught up on my Mad Men episodes. Oh. My. God. I get it now. I understand why this show was nominated for all those Emmys. It’s the best drama on TV, hands down. From the acting to the writing to the set production to the costumes—all of it is fantastic.

I love Don Draper, flaws and all. He is one of the best characters on TV and I wish he existed in real life. Actually, all the characters are amazing. They’re so well written and complex. I find myself feeling all these different things for them, but that’s what I think is so great. One day I’ll hate them and the other I’m feeling bad for them, but there’s never a day when I’m thinking, “Eh, I don’t care about him/her.” I’m invested in each character.

There’s rarely a less-that-amazing episode, but when there is, that’s even better than the best ep of many of the shows out there today. There’s nothing flashy about or over the top about Mad Men. There are no big explosions, complicated dance routines or big guest stars. It simply tells compelling stories about a group of characters’ lives during a complex time period. That’s the hook. You never feel like you’re watching a TV show. Instead, you find yourself being submersed into this world, a voyeur on the sidelines watching it all unfold.

I spent the past three weeks watching disc after disc of Mad Men, trying to get myself to the point where I can tune in tonight and watch episode two of season four with everyone else. I can’t wait.

I went to the Mad Men site and decided to Mad Men Myself. Here I am strutting around in the Sterling Cooper office in a pretty purple dress:


No comments: