Sunday, August 08, 2010

Friday Night Lights: Another Season Down

Note: Spoilers ahead.

I wasn’t sure about this new season with the East Dillon Lions. I was worried I wouldn’t like the new characters, the new setting and the Coach’s new role. I’d grown so attached to the Panthers and their drama that this change left me feeling a little apprehensive about this season. I was afraid this wouldn’t be the same show I’d fallen in love with over the years.

Once the first episode aired, all my fears went away and I knew this show was in good hands. While others would have completely ruined a transition like this, FNL handled it with great care and thought. I look back at this season and not only see how the old characters have grown and moved on, but I also see a new bunch I’ve become invested in and want to see more of next year:


The Riggins Brothers: They’re a dysfunctional pair, but when it comes down to it they’re just two brothers who love each other. You really want to see Tim make a better life for himself, but as much as he wants that too, he struggles with how he’s going to get there and what he’s going to do. Billy pretty much has the same problem. So when they team up to run a business together and it’s not quite as successful as they wanted it to be, they find themselves doing questionable things. Of course, they do it with the best intentions. Sadly, their whole plan crumbles in the last episode. The scene where Tim tells Billy he’s going to take the fall was one of the most heartbreaking scenes of the show.


Saracen & Julie: As much as I love this couple, I knew the big break up was inevitable. High school romances rarely last, because dreams and the need to find one’s self always get in the way. Saracen’s sudden departure and not saying goodbye to Julie was messed up, but I understood why he did it. In the end, I think Julie knew it had to be done that way, too. I was happy to see Saracen return at the end to tie up loose ends with Julie and make amends with Landry. I’m going to miss that kid.


Vince: He went from being a teen hoodlum to the starting quarterback over the course of the season. We watched him battle his demons and struggle with a crackhead mama. He slipped up and redeemed himself with a little help from Coach and Jess. Although this may all seem a little cliché, it totally got me and had me tearing up like an emotional idiot. The scene with his mom in the hospital was gut-wrenching and one of the best of the season.


Luke Cafferty: I’m very interested in seeing where they take his character next season. He kind of reminds me of Saracen with his awkwardness, but there are subtle differences. He seems to feel a little more entitled than Saracen and he comes from a family that’s very much together and very much Christian. I also want to see how his relationships with Vince and Tank evolve. I’m not sure if anything else is going to happen with Becky, but I think it would be interesting to see how they relate to each other after the abortion and everything else that’s happened.


The Boys: It was nice to see Timmy, Billy and Landry come together for Saracen when his dad died. One of the things I always loved about this show was the bond that these boys shared. To see it carry on beyond school and the football field was touching.


Eric & Tami Taylor: This couple is always golden. They’re basically the glue that keeps this show together. From Eric’s coaching ups and downs to Tami being bullied by the boosters and the school board, this couple never falters. They may find themselves on shaky ground from time to time, but their strength always gets them through anything. Their scenes always amaze and mesmerize me. I’m so happy they were nominated for Emmys and finally received recognition for their great work.

When Coach Taylor became the head coach for East Dillon we knew there would be no winning streaks or championship. There was a good chance there wouldn’t even be a win. What we did know was that this season would have struggles and good stories to tell. This season finale was the perfect cap to a great transitional season.

No comments: